The impressive entry into Devizes was through a sunken roadway which climbed through very tall trees covered in ivy and other parasitic growths. At Devizes we walked out along the Bath Road to reach the Caen Hill locks. The Kennet and Avon Canal has some 29 locks just west of Devizes of which 16 are set out one after the other to drop down Caen Hill. The canal was opened by John Rennie in 1810 and one of the features is the large lagoons at each lock in order to control and conserve the amount of water used.
The Kennet and Avon Canal was closed in 1948 and was only restored in the 1990s. The Caen Hill Locks are spectacular but it is very difficult to get pictures which give a proper impression of the work.